Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here are some answers to commonly asked questions.

Who can represent me on my immigration case?

There are two authorized types of immigration representatives – Paid and Unpaid representatives.

A Paid immigration representative may charge fees or receive another type of consideration, to represent or advise people in connection with a Canadian immigration proceeding or application.  The Canadian Government recognizes and allows the following types of authorized paid representatives to act on your behalf:

  • Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC);
  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society;
  • Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Quebec

An Unpaid immigration representative can be any of the following and are allowed to act on your behalf in most immigration matters: family members, friends, non-governmental or religious organizations.

* Your application may be refused if your immigration application is prepared by an unauthorized person.

Why should I use an Immigration Consultant?

A complete immigration package requires more than just filling in blanks on an application form.  The entire process can be overwhelming and take months to put together a complete package.  There are many rules and regulations which need to be followed when completing your application to come to Canada and errors or incomplete applications will result in processing delays or a refused application.

Archway Immigration & Consulting Services is committed to the highest quality of service and prides ourselves in maintaining a wealth of knowledge and experience to handle our client’s needs effectively.  Our Managing Director, Olivia Omoya has more than a decade of experience working with provincial governments and is easily able to understand and interpret Canadian laws and regulations to act as an effective advocate for our clients to achieve successful results.  Olivia Omoya is also a Regulated Immigration Consultant (RCIC # R524671), who is a Member in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).

Do I need a Study Permit to go to school in Canada?

There are some exceptions, but most students will need a study permit to study in Canada.

If your intention is to study in Canada in a program that is less than 6 months, you may not need a study permit, but you may still need a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada.

If your intention is to study in Canada in a program that is longer than 6 months you will require a study permit.

How long will it take to process my application?

The response to this question depends on many factors, including the type of program you applied under, your country of residence, when you applied, as well as any back logs already present within the Program you have applied under.  You can check on the Government Processing Times by clicking on this link:

Do I need a medical exam?

If your plan is to immigrate to Canada, you must have a medical exam.  If you come to Canada as a vistor, student or worker you may need a medical exam.

Click here to see whether you need a medical exam.